US President Donald Trump is one of the most ridiculed leaders in the world. From his typos and spelling mistakes to his superficial comments on socially relevant issues – the 71-year-old has made more mistakes on the public spectrum than, likely, most Americans put together. Recently, Trump challenged US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to “compare IQ tests” with him if he really called him a “jerk” in private.
As bizarre as it sounds, it would still be quite fascinating to know who would win. While waiting to see if they really pass the test or not, here is the world’s shortest IQ test for you. And, if you can’t figure it out, you’re no smarter than Trump. (Hope you are smart enough to gauge how little this counts for!) The following questions are known as the Cognitive Thinking Test. They come from the article Cognitive Reflection and Decision Making by Shane Frederick (2005).
Can you answer it correctly?
(1) A bat and a ball cost $ 1.10 in total. The bat costs $ 1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost? _____ cents
(2) If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to create 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to create 100 widgets? _____ minutes
(3) In a lake, there is a square of water lilies. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake? _____ days
In a survey of 3,428 people, an astonishing 33% missed all three questions. The remaining 83 percent missed at least one of the questions. Interestingly, only 48% of the MIT students sampled were able to answer all of the questions correctly.
Try it out before reading the answers.
By pretending you didn’t get it?
Or have you already given up?
No need to hide your face now.
Take a look at the answers below.
(1) NO, IT’S NOT 10 CENTS: Suppose the ball costs X. Then the bat costs $ 1 more, so it’s X + 1. So we have bat + ball = X + (X + 1) = 1.1 because together they cost $ 1.10. This means 2X + 1 = 1.1, then 2X = 0.1, so X = 0.05. This means that the ball costs 5 cents and the bat costs $ 1.05.
(2) NO, NOT 100: If it takes 5 minutes for 5 machines to create 5 widgets, then it takes 5 minutes for 1 machine to create 1 widget (each machine makes a widget in 5 minutes). If we have 100 machines working together, each one can create a widget in 5 minutes. So there will be 100 widgets in 5 minutes.
(3) DID YOU GET 24? GOOD, IT IS WRONG! Every FORWARD day, the patch doubles in size. So, every BACKWARDS day means the patch size decreases by half. So, on day 47, the lake is half full.